Stress Management Resources
All the information on this page can downloaded as a handout.
What is stress?
Stress is what you feel when you have to handle more than you are used to.
Some stress is normal and even useful.
Common Signs of Stress
- Under or over eating
- Under or over sleeping
- Using alcohol or drugs
- Feeling tired
- Finding it hard to focus
- Feeling anxious
What is your signs of stress?
Ideas to keep stress low
1. Deep Breathing Exercise
2. Non-accusing communication
3. The power of choice and attitude
- I can choose to be happy or unhappy
- Being rich ≠happy, being poor ≠ unhappy!
- “Getting angry is a reaction, staying angry is a choice!”
4. Me Time
- Music (Calgary Public Library)
- Reading (Calgary Public Library)
- Yoga (Recreation Centres)
5. Find an activity you enjoy
6. Laugh and have fun!!!
7. Manage your energy – have breaks!
8. Keep things simple and realistic – make small goals
9. Prioritize your life
10. Talk to someone – family/friends, community or professionals
11. Have healthy meals
12. Get help when needed
13. Can we change?
- What stressors can I eliminate, modify, or change?
- What thinking or feeling habits can I change?
- What behavioural habits can I change?
- What helps me to relax?
Be Patient with yourself
It will take some time to lower your stress,
cope better with stress,
and feel better.
Always remember to look for the bright side of life!
Emotional health/ mental health resources can be found here.
All the information on this page can be downloaded as a handout. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Disclaimer: This material is not a substitute for the advice of a qualified health professional. This material is intended for general information only and is provided on an “as is”, “where is” basis. Although reasonable efforts were made to confirm the accuracy of the information, Alberta Health Services does not make any representation or warranty, express, implied or statutory, as to the accuracy, reliability, completeness, applicability or fitness for a particular purpose of such information. Alberta Health Services expressly disclaims all liability for the use of these materials, and for any claims, actions, demands or suits arising from such use. Last updated August 2022